Beets Sauteed in Garlic
Beets! Beets! and more Beets! so many ways to cook and eat them but my favorite way is sauteed with garlic in olive oil, I even get the kids to eat them. Beets are easy to cook and they permeate with vitamins and nutrition. Beets are a good source of vitamin C and B6 also a very good source of fiber, phosphorus and, magnesium.
In the Greek diet, vegetables hold an honorary place in the week’s menu. Greeks have been eating natural food way before it became a trend and their menu included many simple and quick recipes that were filled with vitamins and nutrients. One such dish that I love is boiled beets, but I add an extra zest to them by sauteeing them in garlic and olive oil then sprinkling them with lemon. An effortless, yet tasty and healthy dish!
Beets are one of my favorite vegetables to prepare because they are so versatile in preparing them, you can eat them hot, cold, as a main dish or even as a side dish, the choice is up to you. My desired recipe for beets is, to saute them with garlic, the taste is simply remarkable! We have a variety of beets to choose from but the most popular one is the red beet. Beets are: Heart Healthy Foods and healthy foods to eat.
TIP: Use gloves because beets stain and it takes a while to take the color out.
- 2.2 pounds medium beets with greens
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 bottle Olive Oil
salt & pepper to taste
1.Separate your beetroot from the greens, some people tend to throw away the greens I haven't figured that one out yet. They are equally appetizing.
2. Scrub your beets under running water, then skin and slice them in quarters. Place beet greens in a bowl with water allow them to rest for 5 minutes then drain, repeat this process about 3 times or until you no longer see soil at the bottom of the bowl. Cut your greens in half.
3. Fill a pot with water add your beets in the pot. Place on stove top boil on high. Add salt to taste. Beets should be ready in 30 minutes. To make sure they are fully cooked pierce with a fork your beets if they penetrate easily they are cooked. Once they are cooked drain them in a colander and set aside until you are ready to saute and serve.
4. In a frying pan add your olive oil allow it to heat up then add your garlic, and your greens with the beetroot, saute
5. Saute for about 5 - 10 minutes make sure your garlic doesn't burn. Beets are ready to serve you can either serve as a side dish with hamburgers or you can eat at as a main course. When you serve sprinkle them with lemon or balsamic vinegar. I prefer balasamic vinegar but that's just me! Try it and let me know!
6. If you have tried one of my recipes and liked it, please be kind enough to leave a comment. When you leave a comment other readers benefit from your feedback.